Thursday, May 12, 2011

A Week Before the Trip and Slowly Going Insane

Everyday we see the pettiness that life brings; we can see it in ourselves, others, celebrities, but most of us tend to shrug it off and act as if we are unphased.  I work in an environment that is stressful and as PETTY as it gets.  The women are worried about their weight, the men are worried about their money, and I sit here worried that I may miss the next storm outbreak by sitting in a financial office.  I've found myself wanting to ask the people in here what it all means.  Anonymous co-worker number one: what does it mean for you to worry about your weight so much to the point where you won't even eat those CRAZY GOOD bagels in the kitchen?  I mean, you do only eat a salad a day and you're probably eighty five pounds, you could use a damn bagel.  Anonymous co-worker number two: what does it mean for you to stress over the tie you're wearing, the 'close' you may not have closed, the things you may not have said (or said too much of) at a meeting?  These things, these overwhelmingly stressful little things, will be the death of all of us.  I have adapted to the toxicity this office offers, but I am not immune by any means.  I have found myself looking in the mirror, have I gained too much weight?, I find myself staring anxiously at my online bank account, do I have enough money?, when realistically - none of that shit matters!  Don't get my message wrong, I love everyone I work with, but I see them slowly killing themselves with their superficial addictions and obsessions and quite frankly it affects me as well.  I have spent alot of my time changing the way I think so I wouldn't have to worry about these things.  I'd like to think I'm a woman who eats what she likes, spends what she can, and is confident in the conversations she holds.  It wasn't an easy attribute to obtain but it's even harder to practice and hold on to, especially when the world is telling you how you should behave otherwise. 
I have priorities, and my priorities are to live a life that makes me happy and I'm sorry, friends, but I'm not happy with a salad (that doesn't even have chicken in it) a day and a life where money overcomes the obstacles that sheer happiness should. 
After long analytical pondering of the situation I've learned that these things I see around me won't go away wherever I go.  There are artificial self-made problems from New Jersey to Oklahoma I'm sure, but that doesn't mean it's not relieving to search for something else, somewhere else. So if anything I should be thanking these people for making it just a little bit easier to go far, far away.  And trust me, I am going as far as away as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment