Friday, May 6, 2011

Gaining the Strength of Thousands

Someone once said that if you lose the fear of failure, you gain the strength of thousands.  For the chasers of MCOM, nothing rings more true.  The people who are involved in the organization are walking miracles and that's what makes MCOM so unique and powerful.  They have been hopelessly addicted to drugs, close to death, and through drug treatment facilities.  "We are adrenaline driven because that's all we've ever known" says one chaser, "and that makes us dangerous.  Effective, but dangerous."  The chaser recalls her time as an active addict as "nauseating and exhausting."
"I didn't sleep, I didn't live, I didn't dream.  All I did was get high and after I was done I'd get high again.  A vicious cycle that never ended."
Two chasers spent one year in a treatment facility located in Mendham, NJ, one says that without it her life would've ended abruptly and silently at the age of eighteen.  She is now twenty and living a life she never thought she'd live.
"I have a great job, people that support me, and a dream that no one can take from me.  It's better than anything I've ever known."
MCOM has not yet chased the storms they so actively seek but are planning their first storm chasing trip to begin May 21.  Their journey begins in Vernon, NJ and will be carried out all the way through to Oklahoma City, OK.  In NJ, they have successfully encountered dangerous downdrafts, severe thunderstorms, and flooding.  In one week in OK, they plan to see more than most people see in their lives.  They are anxiously hoping for what they refer to as - "the finger of God."  They encourage anyone to 'chase them' by following their twitter (www.twitter/com/MCOMchasers), their facebook (www.facebook.com/MCOMunitedstormchasers) and of course their blog right here at http://www.mcomunitedstormchasers.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment